Your first choice for a second chance
The affordable account alternative
IREFCU offers both Visa Classic and Visa Gold cards at competitive rates (10.9% introductory).
What is a CU Money Debit Card?
The CU Money Visa Reloadable Prepaid card is a smart and cost-effective alternative to carrying cash and paying check cashing fees. Because it is a pre-funded card, you only spend the money you load on it and you can typically get it without a credit check. Simply purchase the Visa Reloadable Prepaid card, load it with the cash amount you choose. Use it to make purchases and pay bills anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including in stores, online or over the phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s easy to get a CU Money Visa Reloadable Prepaid card – buy one from either GMCU location.
Are there any special types of transactions I should know about before I shop?
There are special types of transactions that you should know about.
- Gas Stations – Paying at the pump may cause a hold of up to $75 or more; consider paying inside with the attendant for the exact amount and signing the receipt instead.
- Restaurants – Restaurants may verify you have enough money on your card for the dining bill. Make sure you have enough funds to cover any added tip.
- Hotels – Hotels may put a “hold” on the amount of your estimated bill, making that amount unavailable for other purchases. When you check out, that hold may take a few days to be removed.
- Auto Rentals – You may use your card for final payment for a rental car bill, but a credit card may be necessary to reserve a rental car.
- Returning purchases – Store return policies may vary. You may receive a credit to your card, a cash refund or even a store credit, depending on the particular store. A credit to your account may take up to one week to process before it’s available for use.
- Paying Bills Pay just about any one-time or recurring bill.
Keep your card even after the balance is depleted and you decide not to add additional money to it in case you need to return any purchased items. You might be asked to present the card when returning items purchased with the card.
To get cash back when making a purchase, swipe your card and choose the “debit” button, then select the cash back amount you want from the screen options, enter your PIN, and take your cash and receipt to keep track of your balance.
Remember to save your purchase receipts and your card even after the funds have been depleted, in case you have merchandise returns. When returning an item purchased online, have your card number available in order to process the return. The merchandise value will be credited back to your card within three to seven business days.